Insurance for reiki practitioners
As an alternative medicine originally from Japan, many Canadians have taken a liking to reiki in the past decade. It’s easy to see why – reiki therapy is intended to relax, relieve stress and help with the overall well-being of its clients.
Due to its gentle nature, it may be assumed reiki practitioners offer a relatively risk-free service. However, when a client is relying on your expertise for their health and wellness, there’s always a chance that something could go wrong, due to an oversight or some incorrect advice. Should this happen, your business could be liable which can be really expensive to resolve without the proper insurance coverage.
Reiki instructor insurance is crucial to protect your business from the unexpected. We’ve answered the top questions about reiki insurance below.
What is reiki insurance?
Reiki instructor insurance protects reiki professionals from lawsuits alleging negligence, malpractice, or third-party injury. It also provides financial protection from common risks you may encounter, like a general liability claim or property damage to your reiki clinic.
What does it cover?
Reiki insurance is a type of professional liability insurance (also known as malpractice insurance or errors & omissions insurance). Professional liability insurance may cover the legal costs for negligence claims or bodily injury to a client. As an example of how professional liability insurance could protect your business, imagine a client accusing you of providing a treatment that directly made their condition worse, so they sue you. Professional liability insurance could provide financial protection for legal fees and potential medical costs.
For comprehensive coverage, there are other policies that should be included in your reiki liability insurance:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance: This coverage, also known as ‘slip and fall insurance,’ protects your business against common liability risks. These are risks that can happen during day-to-day business operations, such as third-party property damage or injury to a client. For example, a client falls off of your reiki massage table and hurts their back. In this scenario, CGL insurance could cover the medical costs and other related costs.
- Commercial Property Insurance: If you own or rent a studio for your reiki practice, commercial property insurance can provide protection to your location and business-related equipment against risks like fire, theft, and vandalism. For example, if a window was broken by a heavy hailstorm, this policy could provide financial protection to replace the damaged window.
- Cyber Liability Insurance: This coverage is necessary for any professional who stores client information, confidential data or conducts virtual consultations. Cyber liability insurance can cover costs associated with electronic incidents involving your technology systems and customer data, such as incident response and breach management fees. For example, if there was a security breach and your client data may be compromised, this coverage could cover the financial costs of notifying clients and securing your data.
Do Reiki practitioners need insurance?
Yes, all professional reiki instructors and reiki studio owners should consider reiki insurance to protect themselves and their businesses from potential lawsuits.
We’ve insured more than 1,000 reiki professionals. Some of our clients include:
- Reiki practitioners
- Reiki masters
- Energy healers
- Studio and retreat owners
How much does it cost?
The cost varies depending on your specific circumstances. However, the average cost of reiki instructor insurance can begin at around $250 for CGL and professional liability policy with a $2,000,000 combined coverage limit.
To understand your needs, you’ll be asked a series of questions about your business when you make a quote. At Zensurance, here are some considerations that help us to calculate your quote:
- Operation size (number of participants)
- Training and experience
- Annual and projected revenue
- Services provided
- Number of employees
- Past insurance claims
If you’re looking for affordable insurance, you’ve come to the right place.
Zensurance is partnered with more than 50 insurance providers so we can provide a variety of options at the best price.
Common claims scenarios
Frequently asked questions