What Risks Does a Pool Cleaning and Repair Business Face?
Although there are steps you can take to ensure your team is ready for the season, any pool cleaning and repair business needs insurance to protect against the various risks and liabilities they face. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Accidents and Injuries: Cleaning pools involves using chemicals and working with machinery, which can be dangerous. A pool cleaning business may face claims for bodily injury or property damage resulting from accidents on the job, such as slips and falls, chemical burns, or equipment malfunctions.
- Property Damage: A pool cleaning business may be responsible for damage to client properties, such as accidentally breaking a pool tile, a chemical spill that harms people or property, or damaging pool equipment during the cleaning process.
- Lawsuits and Legal Claims: A pool cleaning business may face legal claims from clients who are dissatisfied with their services or believe they were harmed somehow.
- Business Interruption: If a pool cleaning business cannot operate due to a covered event, such as a natural disaster or equipment theft, it can result in lost income and other expenses.
- Employee Injuries: If a pool cleaning business has employees, it is usually required by law to provide provincial workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs of medical expenses and lost wages if an employee is injured on the job.
- Auto Accidents: Pool cleaning businesses need to travel to their clients’ locations to do their work. The possibility of getting into a collision or auto accident that damages your company’s vehicles due to traffic, poor weather, driver fatigue, and distracted driving is always prevalent.
What Should a Pool Cleaning and Repair Business Insurance Policy Include?
A pool cleaning and repair business needs several types of insurance coverage to form a comprehensive pool cleaning and repair insurance policy to protect its operations and assets.
Here are some of the most common types of insurance such a policy contains:
- General Liability Insurance: General liability insurance covers claims of third-party bodily injuries or property damages that may arise from your business’s operations. For example, if a client slips, falls, and is injured while you’re cleaning their pool, general liability insurance would cover their medical fees.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: Covers your business vehicles transporting equipment, people, and materials to client locations.
- Employers’ Liability Insurance: If you have employees, employers’ liability insurance complements your provincial workers’ compensation insurance by covering an injured employee’s medical expenses and lost wages that workers’ comp doesn’t. It also protects business owners if an injured employee or their family sues you for damages.
- Commercial Property Insurance: Commercial property insurance covers damage or loss to your business property, including your contents like office furniture, electronics, equipment, tools, and supplies, because of fire, water damage, a natural disaster, theft, or vandalism.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Also known as errors and omissions (E&O) insurance, this coverage protects you from claims of negligence, errors, or omissions in your professional services. For example, if a pool you’ve cleaned becomes damaged due to a mistake you made, professional liability insurance would cover the resulting costs.
- Pollution Liability Insurance: Pool service companies and technicians use chlorine to disinfect swimming pools and hot tubs. However, if misapplied, chlorine can cause harm to your clients and their properties. Moreover, if chlorine or other chemicals you use spill, leak, or combust while in transit or storage, it can harm the environment and public health. Pollution liability insurance covers clean-up expenses, civic fines, and legal settlements.
- Tools and Equipment Insurance: You need equipment to service your clients’ properties. But if they’re damaged, lost, stolen, or vandalized, tools and equipment insurance can cover the repair or replacement cost.
How to Get the Pool Cleaning and Repair Insurance You Need
Getting the protection your pool cleaning and repair business needs is easy through Zensurance.
Fill out our online application for a free quote. With over 50 insurers in our partner network, our friendly brokers can quickly get the low-cost policy you need and advise you on the coverage limits you may require.