Graphic Designer Insurance

Graphic Design Insurance

Whether you own a graphic design business or you’re a freelance designer, you should protect yourself and your work.

Get a free graphic designer liability insurance quote.

Zensurance - Graphic Designer

Partnerships with over 50 leading Canadian insurance providers

Graphic Designer

Liability insurance for graphic designers

As a graphic designer, you help other businesses stand out from the crowd and captivate their audience with your creative know-how. You may work as a freelancer, offering your services on a per-project basis, or you may run your own graphic design business, with employees working for you.

However you provide graphic design work, it’s important to remember your clients rely on your expertise. A simple oversight or a bad decision could affect the quality of your product, and ultimately, it could impact the relationship with your client. Additionally, you can be liable for things beyond your control, such as damaging a client’s property while you’re working at their location, for example. A liability insurance policy that’s built around your graphic design business will give you peace of mind, so you can focus on doing what you love.

A graphic designer insurance policy is designed to protect those who run a graphic design business or freelance designers that typically work on a per-project basis. A business insurance policy built specifically for the needs of graphic designers can protect against risks you face, such as being liable for third-party property damage or bodily injury, or allegations of negligence in your service.

Graphic design policies are a combination of several commercial insurance policies based on the coverage required to protect your business. Below are the core coverages your policy will likely include:

  • Professional liability insurance: Also known as errors and omissions (E&O) insurance, professional liability insurance protects against claims from clients alleging you made an error in your service, either by being negligent, violating rules or standards, or failing to deliver a service as promised. If you find yourself in the midst of an allegation regarding your professional work, professional liability may cover the legal defence fees and related costs. Suppose you create a new website layout for a client, but the client alleges that you didn’t provide all of the webpage outlines you said you would and take you to court. In this case, professional liability insurance may cover the legal fees and monetary judgment.
  • Commercial general liability insurance (CGL): If you have an office space, or you go to a client’s office or location, chances are you’ll need CGL insurance. This coverage protects you from the day-to-day risks you may be liable for, such as third-party bodily injury or property damage. For example, say you’re a freelancer that’s been tasked with creating a mural in your client’s office lobby. While painting the mural, you accidentally drop paint on their expensive carpet and the client sues you for the cost. In this case, CGL insurance could provide financial coverage to replace the carpet.
  • Commercial property insurance: If you run your business in an office space, or even if you work from home while freelancing, you should protect your business assets and location from insurable risks (such as fire, theft or vandalism). Suppose your office space is damaged in a fire, and your computer and other equipment are destroyed. Commercial property insurance could provide financial coverage to cover the replacement of your destroyed business equipment.
  • Cyber liability insurance: An increasing number of graphic designers hold confidential client data on their own devices, leaving their businesses susceptible to the implications of a cyber attack. Cyber liability insurance provides financial coverage against cybercrime, helping to recover lost data, inform affected customers and more. For example, say your computer was affected by a virus that cleared important customer information from your system. Cyber liability insurance could help cover the costs of restoring that data and, if necessary, informing customers of the breach.

The cost of graphic designer liability insurance is largely based on specific information about your business. For an individual graphic designer, a professional liability insurance policy starts between $350 to $500 per year with a $1 million coverage limit.

When you make a quote with Zensurance, you’ll be asked some simple questions about your business that help us assess your risk, the coverages you require, and the policy premium. Here are some of the criteria we’ll ask you about:

  • Annual and projected revenue
  • Industry and profession
  • Services and products offered
  • Training and years of experience
  • Your claims history

We want to ensure you get the best price for the coverage you need. Zensurance has partnered with more than 50 Canadian insurance providers to give you a choice of great options for your business.

Any professional that owns a graphic design business, or provides freelancing design services should protect their work with graphic designer insurance.

A Zensurance, we provide coverage for many types of graphic designers. Below are some examples:

  • Product designer
  • UX designer
  • Illustrator
  • Motion designer
  • Website designer

Getting insured is quick and easy!

Complete our 5-minute online application for a free graphic design insurance quote.

Common claims scenarios

Graphic Design Error

Problem: You create a logo for a new photography studio client, but a week later a local competitor accuses them of copying their logo due to the same colours and font type used. Your client accuses you of copyright infringement.

Outcome: Your professional liability insurance could cover your legal defence fees, regardless of the outcome of the case, totalling $15,000.

Office Theft

Problem: One evening, your office is broken into and several expensive computers and printers are stolen.

Outcome: Your commercial property insurance could cover the cost to replace the stolen equipment, totalling $25,000.

Graphic Designer - Liability

Problem: You’re helping a large business launch a new product by creating the design for a web landing page, social media posts and sales sheets. Due to an oversight on your part, you miss the deadline by a week, delaying the launch of their campaign. The client sues you for your error.

Outcome: Your professional indemnity insurance could cover the legal fees of the claim, totalling $10,000.

Frequently asked questions

Why doesn’t my home insurance cover if I work from home?

Personal home insurance is not designed to provide coverage for a home-based business. Although some home insurance policies may offer a limited amount of coverage if you are working from home during the pandemic, if you are running a business out of your home, you require a commercial policy to insure your operations and premises.

If I’m a freelancing graphic designer working outside of Canada. Will my insurance cover me?

Yes. Your professional liability insurance policy will cover you while working outside of Canada provided it is part of your coverage terms. Speak to a licensed broker about your coverage needs to ensure you are fully protected.

What are the common risks that graphic designers face?

Graphic designers face a wide variety of risks including copyright infringement, contract disputes, failure to meet deadlines or deliver a service as promised, and negligence. A professional liability insurance is designed to provide you with financial support if you are subject to an allegation of wrongdoing or a lawsuit.

Why choose Zensurance?

Online Business Insurance Quote Form

Intuitive Online Experience

Do everything online, at your

24 HR Customer Support For Insurance Questions

Always Here For You

We’re just a click away

Business Insurance Coverage Full Transparency

Full Transparency

Get only the coverage you need in clear language

Our most recent reviews

See what our small business customers have to say about us.

Google reviews rating 4.8 of 5 stars from 1500 plus Google Reviews

4.8 4.8 stars review
3000+ Google Reviews

Ready to start? Let’s get a quote!

You’ve dedicated your career to bringing other businesses to life, you deserve an insurance policy that brings your business to life, too. We’ve made it as easy as possible to get a quote by using simple everyday language and only asking questions you’ll know the answers to.

Get a quote in just 5 minutes – our brokers are happy to help if you have any questions along the way.